Wednesday 1 February 2012

My letter to William Hill, bookmaker

After reviewing the calculations for my challenge, I realised that this was quite a big feat. Maybe not possible. And I needed some inspiration to drive me on. As I'm doing this completely for free, with no pay, I thought a monetary gain would be helpful.

Not wanting to detract any donations from the charity, I set about writing to a man called William Hill. I hear he likes bets. Below is my e-mail to him.

Dear Mr Hill,
My name is Shaun Buswell and I perform musical challenges for charity. The latest is something called The 12.12.12 Underground Orchestra Challenge, in aid of Music4Life, a project ran by the charity Kick4Life (http://www.kick4life.org/).
The challenge is to form an entire orchestra (30-100 piece) made up of strangers I’ve met for the first time on the London Underground. I have to approach anyone on the tube who carries an instrument and try to form an orchestra which must then perform at one of the top twelve London venues on the 12th December 2012. More information can be found at http://www.121212.org.uk/
To date 7 of the 12 venues have declined and based on my calculations here - http://www.121212challenge.blogspot.com/2012/02/statistics.html I estimate I will have to meet 2,620 musicians before December.
Based on this, and taking into account at least 1 month of rehearsal time, I believe I will have to meet 291 musicians each month. 67 a week. 9.5 a day. I'm not sure how to meet half a person.
Considering the enormity of the challenge, I think this falls into the category of "not very possible". And considering you're a betting man, I was wondering if you would like make a bet with me.
I think the odds are probably 121212-1, but I'd settled for a reasonable 12-1. I'm a very fair man, you see.
I look forward to hearing about which outlet I can visit to make such a bet.
Kind regards
Shaun Buswell

No comments:

Post a Comment